Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Starting School



I am so excited for Alex to start at Community Montessori School this year. Before I had Alex it was always my dream that he would attend a Montessori school (as Jay and I both did) and that I would also be able to work at the same school. This would be any mother's dream, to be with or near your child all day. Well maybe it wouldn't be all mother's dream but it is mine. We are very lucky to live 4 minutes away from what I consider to be one of the best and true to the Montessori philosophy schools that I have ever seen. When I taught we would attend the annual Montessori conference and some years it included a tour of an exemplary school in that city and never in all my years have seen a school as beautiful and well laid out as CMS. Even the school that I worked at for 10 years doesn't really compare. Hopefully it does meet my expectations which I sometimes set way too high.

This past week we had meet the teacher night and pot luck dinner to meet the other children and parents. All of us were on the playground chatting and doing introductions and Alex comes up to me and points to a lady and asks if that is Ms. Jinny (the teacher). I was very shocked because it was the teacher whom he had never met or seen before. I am still puzzled by this intution of his. (I am sure that he heard someone say her name but there is a small part of me that thinks there was some sort of higher force going on). Anyway he fell in love with the playground and the teacher and even met some friends. Jay got a brief look into Montessori from another source other than me after all of these years of hearing stuff from me and now we are SO excited to have Alex attend the school. And the bonus is I am going to sub there after my marathon is over so I will be able sneak peaks into his room and at the same time quench my thirst to get back to teaching.

No comments: